Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Coming Back Down

What a whirlwind the past two weeks have been.  Phew.  I have been visiting Georgia, Atlanta to be exact.  There I met the most fascinating people, people who suddenly became a very real part of my life.  In fact, some of you might know them.  One woman in particular, whom I really came to detest, you might know by the name of Scarlett Hamilton, or Scarlett Kennedy, or Scarlett Butler, or perhaps Scarlett O'Hara.  Ahhhh, yes.  You know of whom I am speaking about.  You too have heard of her scandalous behavior, her ruthless selfishness, and her acts of betrayal.  Never have I come across someone who got under my skin in such a way.  I must admit that she is one tough cookie, very resourceful, and tackles life by its horns, but at a very high price indeed.
There were others of course.  Ashley is a wishy-washy dreamer who was very out of his element.  Melanie is forever a lady with such a quiet strength and dignity about her.  Overlooked and quiet, she is the glue that holds her friends together during difficult times.  Oh, I love Melanie.  And then there is Rhett.  Rhett, Rhett, Rhett.  Though his behavior is just as scandalous as Scarlett's, why oh why was I pulling for him?  I was so crushed for him, my heart so terribly sad, as his fate unfolded.  This man calls a spade a spade, he never pretends to be something he's not, and he understands people and can read them like a book.  There's book smart, street smart, and people smart and Rhett was just that.

I will never forget my time spent this summer in Georgia.  The cotton fields, the Southern hospitality, the terrible war, all the things I learned about Reconstruction through the Confederates' perspective, and most of all the people will forever be ingrained in my memory.  What a ride.  What a book.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Ooh, yes! I stayed in bed an extra hour just this morning to get in some reading time. It's been a long while since characters have felt so real -- wow.

You know how I usually complain about long books .. but somehow I've read 500+ pages already and am not ready for it to end. (Though how much more are they going to have to endure??)

I'm going to go read some more.

Michelle said...

Yes, I read that first line 3 times. The first time, feeling a bit betrayed that you hadn't told me about such a trip. The second time, confused on why you had gone to Georgia to begin with. By the third reading I was totally confused when I realized you hadn't actually left because I talked to Abram two days ago. Don't worry, that last sentence cleared things up a bit :)

The Castleton Family said...

HAHAHAA!!! i TOTALLY did exactly what michelle did!! I reread the sentence and even double checked to make sure i was on your blog. I thought for a second you went to visit my parents! :0) we finally have internet again so i am having fun catching up on your blog posts!!