First, some thoughts to throw out there:
~Why is it that on days like, oh I don't know, Spring Break days, the boys never sleep in? However, try getting them up on a school day and it's virtually impossible.
~I made corned beef and cabbage for the first time this St. Patrick's Day. Can I just say that I think I'll save a few bucks next year and pass on the glorified hot dog meal? The cabbage I didn't mind, but the meat, really? Not even Sam, who likes everything but mint, didn't--or rather wouldn't--go back for seconds. Gross.
~Sundays are hard. Usually they're long and lonely, oh and exhausting. I don't understand why the boys are either especially temperamental or maybe getting on splendidly but the romp that ensues reminds me of Where the Wild Things Are. It's either hot or cold here at our house on Sundays, folks.
~I really want a smart phone. They're so cool. Way better than the pay-as-you-go phone I got on Black Friday 3 years ago. And yet.....I just can't quite bite the bullet. Aside from the monthly cost (yikes!) I feel like I just can't quite make myself make the transition. I know as soon as I get one, it will become an attachment, a third arm if you will. I will be frantically searching for it as I do my keys. I will be on the Internet more. I will be texting more. I will be wasting more time, because, I'll be honest, once I'm on, it's hard to get off. And yet how convenient! How techy I'd be. How fun to always have a camera on me. These smart phones, they're something else. But am I really that bad off without one? Do I really need to be connected all the time? It seems to be the way things are going though. Super sweet GPS, finding a nearby place to eat, comparing prices or getting reviews on a product asap, did I mention the camera feature?, games for the kids--or myself, :) oh and texting. Texting! I'm still somewhat incredulous at the rage this has become. I see how it's super fast and convenient, but is it so hard and wrong to pick up a phone and call someone, you know, interact with another human being, even a friend from time to time? But no, texting isn't bad per se (that's maybe an argument for a different time) and it really is a preferred way of communicating for many, many people. Are you able to understand the mixed feelings I have on this? I would love to hear what all you good people feel about this. I think I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill. There's nothing wrong with smart phones. They're just different, and I guess I'm holding onto the old fashioned ways, and that's the bottom line. I would say I feel like Lord Grantham not quite wanting to give control to Matthew on running the estate in a newer and "better" way, but if it's more efficient and saves the family money, why shouldn't he? (How did you like that Dowton Abbey analogy-eh, eh? I might have lost some of you there if I haven't done so already.) Let's face it, it's only a matter of time before I buckle and get a smart phone. I'm sure I will love it, but.....but I don't know. Enough said.
~More posts to come, and soon! Try to contain your excitment.
Sunday, March 24, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh, I so love your blog. You have a way of writing that makes me hear you speaking and I love it.
On the smart phone thing, I have a love-hate relationship with mine. I love that it is so convenient that I can look up a recipe in the store if I am not sure I have all the ingredients, but I HATE that it is a third arm and I find that sometimes I have to force myself to leave it on a shelf for a day in order to get back on balance. It's a tough debate for sure.
And I feel the slightest twinge of your pain over Sundays. Perhaps we need to spend more of our Sundays together. :)
Um so funny about corned beef. We LOVE it here! Guess we won't invite you over for St. Patty's day next year :P
And you definitely should get a smart phone. You know it's inevitable anyway :)
1. Yes, on the sleeping-in thing! What is up with that?!!
2. I like corned beef and cabbage. Nathan doesn't. My brother does. His wife says it tastes like eating a salt lick. I think maybe you had to grow up on it. (My brother and I did.) I haven't had it since our first married St. Patrick's Day, when I cooked it and Nathan was disgusted.
3. Sundays at my house are exhausting, too. It is funny to me that it is called the "day of rest." HA.
4. I have the pay-as-you-go flip phone thing going on, too. I just can't justify the cost of a smart phone when I am already home all the time, where I have a phone and a computer (who are we kidding; we have, like, ten computers). And I am on the same page as you with texting. It is embarrassing that people will text me and I won't notice for days (weeks?). And I don't want to know how many people have THOUGHT they've texted me on my house phone (who even has one of those anymore?). I agree that it is inevitable and I should probably join the 21st century (I feel like some crochety old person who can't get with the times) but I can't quite bring myself to do it. So -- we can be backwards hermits together for the time being (can you be a hermit WITH someone else??)
Sorry my comment is long enough to compete with your post. That's another thing -- texting is supposed to be a way to BRIEFLY communicate with other people, right? Brief is a problem for me. :-P
Post a Comment