Saturday, June 8, 2013

Garage Sales

I'm really kind of a dork when it comes to Garage Sales.  I have absolutely nothing against Garage Sales or Garage Sale shopping, I'm just terrible at it.  I always feel so awkward.  I can just feel the owner's eyes following me as I rummage through their stuff.  Awkward, right?   And in all honesty I'm not a very good rummager.  I feel like in about 30 seconds I'll know if I should hit the road or not.  However I then feel obligated to look around for at least a few minutes and perhaps feign interest in an item or two so as not to appear too hoity toity--like their stuff isn't good enough for me and I can't be bothered to fork out even a quarter for some of their junk.  No, no.  I wouldn't want to appear like that.

I also don't like having to drive all over to do my shopping.  Drive, park, check for 30 seconds,--I'm sorry, make that a few minutes bare minimum--, head back to the car, get in, drive around until you find the next one, and repeat the process.  Are we having any fun yet?  That's why I try to take more of a drive-by approach.  Unfortunately, this really only works if you're looking for something that's, well, big.

The other issue I have is that unless I'm know what I'm looking for, I'm just wandering around aimlessly.  Then I'll find something that I never knew I needed and buy it.  Their junk becomes mine and I'm wondering how much I'm actually saving by buying things I don't actually need.  Know what I mean?

I have friends that find such treasures at such steals.  I'm always so envious.  I think they're good rummagers.  Maybe that's the bottom line.  I lack patience pure and simple.  Then throw in the Awkwardness Factor and it's just too much.  I know, I have issues, right?

3 comments:

The Castleton Family said...

haha...I totally feel the same way about feeling obligated to look around someone's stuff even after that time I know I don't want anything to do with their stuff...

Adri said...

Ugh I hate garage sales too. I haven't been to one my entire adult life. I also hate thrift store shopping and even cringe when I have to go to Marshall's for the same reason. All that sifting and sorting through things. Bleh.

Beth said...

I hear you!! The rummaging, I don't mind all that much (I like "rummaging" at Ross and, to an extent, Goodwill). But the Awkwardness Factor -- YES. I have been known to buy stuff at garage sales I didn't really want just because I stopped and therefore I really ought to buy something, right? I realized it's easier to just not stop at all. (Also: I never carry cash anymore.)

We get some pretty good deals via craigslist, though. My secret is that Nathan does it all for me. ;-)

P.S. Yes, please come over sometime and visit me and the baby! My schedule is really pretty open (I clear it completely for the first two months!). Any day after, say, 10:30 would be great.