Tuesday, December 9, 2008

O Christmas Tree

We finally got our Christmas tree up this past weekend. Sam was gone the week before, hence the delay. (And what a llooooonnngggg week it was!) The kids were chomping at the bit and were SO excited to get our decorations up.

Finding a Christmas tree was a bit of an ordeal. We get the real thing, and by real thing I only mean driving to a lot in town and picking one out. The first two lots we went to we walked through, turned around, and walked out. Seriously, we're not going to spend $70, $80, or even $100 for a dead plant that will only be out for a few weeks in our home. Good old Home Depot pulled through. We got our beautiful Noble Fir for $30. It is also one of the darn smelliest trees we've ever had. I come through the door and I swear my eyes almost water from the strong pine smell. LOVE it! All the same, I'm wondering about the perks of an artificial. No mess, better economically in the long term, no tangled lights, and there's nothing a good pine scented candle couldn't fix. What do you have? Is real or artificial the way to go?


Here are a few pictures from our trimming of the tree. I love the second to last one where you can see where Chase put his ornaments. Too much fun.









7 comments:

Melissa said...

Well, I grew up with a real tree, but someone gave us a nice fake when we first got married, and I must say it is much less trouble. No sawing or sap to deal with.

Michelle said...

Lanita this makes me so excited to come visit you!! How am I supposed to focus when I get overwhelmed with excitment?? Love you and PS love the Christmas music!

Dawn W said...

Well, we've only had a real Christmas tree twice in our married life, and still have the HUGE Christmas tree stand to go with it. My vote goes for a big artificial tree, but as we can't quite justify the cost of a nice one yet, we are still hanging in there with our Christmas tree forest - a collection of one little tree for each person in the family. :) Cute pictures! Your boys look so sweet! (Don't you love pictures?!)

Rebecca said...

I love how little kids can't do a thumbs up, it always makes me chuckle. As far as a tree? I say let the kids decide. I was determined on a real tree when mom played with the idea of an artificial; but now I am 50/50. (probably because I've yet to be responsible for a real tree).

Holly Child said...

We have two artificial trees...one the kids decorate, and one I get all to myself! ;o) I grew up getting real trees, but my mom finally converted to the artificial ones when we were older. Jeff and I have only had one real tree in all our married lives! I just remember it being extremely messy and extremely dead (even though we watered it!)

Unknown said...

I vote for a real tree. Tromping through the field (or the parking lot) to argue over that perfect tree. And I don't care what anyone says, I haven't met a candle yet that smelled even half was as good as a tree. It always feels like there's something missing when there's no tree smelling up the house. :) In all honesty, I do have a fake tree, but only because Ben's allergic. Gosh darn it all. Someday when he moves out we'll go back to a real tree.

Becky Hanlin said...

Well, we have an artificial, but that doesn't mean there's no mess. It sheds like a real tree. Maybe that's because it's so old. And I'm not a big fan of pine candles b/c they smell too fake. I love the smell of a real tree, but it is easier to have a fake tree. : )