Wednesday, June 3, 2009

On To Abram

Abram's new fetish (I'll try to keep it short): As of late he has enjoyed making movies and, upon talking to his Uncle Micah who is a film major at BYU, decided he needed some software to be able to make special effects, namely light sabers that glow.

The particular software he became interested in is a mere $150. He decided to start saving. He quickly realized that household projects I paid him to do were not going to cut it. And after doing some math came to the conclusion that it would take him 2.5 YEARS to earn enough money using solely his meager allowance.

His next step was to con his brother Seth into going in on it with him. This was especially helpful as Seth currently has twice as much money as he does. It was The Great Brain at his finest (for those of you who are familiar with that GREAT series).

Finally he needed to come up with a sales pitch. His first thought was to sell diapers on the street. $1 per diaper. To my relief that one fizzled out on its own. It was finally decided that he and his cohort would set up a stand and perform magic tricks (a prior passion) at 10 cents a trick, or for only $10 they would reveal their secrets. They worked on their "stand" and performance for days, Abram even attempting to add braille to their stand "just in case." I don't think that project came to complete fruition.

They were finally ready for the big day and out they carried all their supplies. "Magic Tricks 10 cents" they would holler over and over to every passing car or person, or to no one in particular. After doing this for several days, I think 3 people stopped and the boys made a whopping $4, so their patrons were generous. It was hard as a mother to watch, though. I knew it was going to be a tough lesson for them to learn, but seriously people, is it that hard to stop for 30 seconds and throw a dime at an 8 year old? I have since made a vow that I will make all effort to stop and aid a child in their quest for riches.

Abram has now, finally, come to the conclusion that perhaps he can settle for some software that is a little cheaper. It may not have all the bells and whistles, but it should suffice the needs of a young boy.

The following clip is a magic trick that Abram stayed up until 11:00 one night stewing on and designing in his mind. Kudos to Dad who patiently helped the design come to life as Abram wanted it.

6 comments:

Mama Tales said...

Lanita, lemonaide stands will forever hold a different appeal won't they. I loved the new trick, good work boys!!!

The Perkes Family said...

How clever. It's amazing what kids will come up with to get what they want. You are going to have some entrepreneurs on your hands!

Rebecca said...

Wow, what cleaver minds indeed. I always pictured the great brain a little differently, but I guess they come in different shapes and sizes. I like how Abram puts his hand over the small of his back, to keep skin from showing? And I think the flag is a particularly good touch. And Seth just seems to be in it for the ride!

Becky said...

"Well, we're magicians..." I love it! They're so creative!!!

Melissa said...

That is the cutest thing I have ever read. A magic trick stand! That boy will go far. Has has loads and imagination and perseverance!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh Lanita, this is so painfully sweet. I think you're such an excellent mother through the process.