Thursday, October 22, 2009

My Grandmother passed away a couple of weeks ago. I was so glad we had stopped to see her over the summer. It's amazing how sad one can feel, yet so happy to know where they are and to know how happy they must be. Grandma had been so sick for so many years and though her mind worked great, her poor body had deteriorated. As sad as at thing it was, how wonderful to know that her body is at rest and she can just be without her tabernacle of clay holding her back anymore.


We had planned a vacation to spend some time with Sam's parents. As Sam and the boys flew off to meet them, I flew out for the funeral and then caught up with them a couple of days later. The funeral was amazing. Grandma had 41 grandchildren and 39 of us made it for the funeral. (Of the two who didn't come, one had just had a baby and the other's toddler broke his leg just before they were getting ready to fly out.)


It was so great to be with all of that family and to reconnect with cousins I hadn't seen in years. I just felt so F.L'd (full of love) the whole time and it was a good reminder that this is what it is all about. I'm sure Grandma's buttons were just bursting at the scene.

Here a few random pictures. The first is, obviously, of Grandma's casket. Thought it might be odd, I just had to have a picture of her mauveish/pinkish casket that epitomizes her color preference. It was too perfect.






2 comments:

Mama Tales said...

Thank you for coming and thanks to the Bells for their understanding when you arrived late for their festivities. Grandma loved her grandchildren and often referred to her posterity as her Jewels. She had a sparkling crown that day didn't she!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I love that picture of the four of your girls at the bottom. That is just amazing 39 of 41 grandchildren made it.

I love, love the word play of this sentence, "I'm sure Grandma's buttons were just bursting at the scene." I read it three times.