~According to Malcolm Gladwell there is a difference between "panicking" and "choking." To panic is to forget everything you have learned. Your mind draws a blank and you may even do the exact opposite of what you know you should do. To choke is to over-analyze what you're doing, to second guess your actions which in turn become forced or mechanical. Neither outcome is pleasant. I got another calling in our ward: Relief Society pianist. Having never mastered the hymns (let alone the fear that grips one when having to play in front of a large group of people), I'm wondering which I will do when I play, choke or panic. Then again, choking or panicking implies that you have some base knowledge to begin with. Perhaps I should add another option. How 'bout plain Stinkin' It Up? That will probably get my vote.
~Why is there such a big gap in Dance Dance Revolution between Basic and Difficult? I'm stuck between two worlds.
~Chase has been sick with a high fever for several days now. Will I come down with it? How bad will it be? Will Abram end up having to miss the standardized testing going on right now if he comes down with it? Will Seth miss his Valentine's day party at school? That would mean the end of the world to him (boy does that boy love candy). Will I ever get to go grocery shopping again? Will I be able to leave the house before the end of the month? Is this the beginning of the end?
~I need a hobby. I have been thinking of Pres. Uchtdorf's wonderful talk, "Happiness Your Heritage." In it he says things like:
- "The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before."
- You might say, “I’m not the creative type. When I sing, I’m always half a tone above or below the note. I cannot draw a line without a ruler. And the only practical use for my homemade bread is as a paperweight or as a doorstop.”
- If that is how you feel, think again, and remember that you are spirit daughters of the most creative Being in the universe. Isn’t it remarkable to think that your very spirits are fashioned by an endlessly creative and eternally compassionate God? Think about it—your spirit body is a masterpiece, created with a beauty, function, and capacity beyond imagination.
- If you still feel incapable of creating, start small. Try to see how many smiles you can create, write a letter of appreciation, learn a new skill, identify a space and beautify it.
So what can I do? It has to be simple and not too energy burning. Something more productive and worthwhile than succeeding at the level "Difficult" in DDR. *Sigh* I'll be thinking.....
12 comments:
first Lanita...I always thought you were an amazing piano player. I always admired that in you.
I totally relate to all of the things you have been thinking...except I cant even to Basic on DDR.
I am always looking for a hobby...and every time I try to get into something...I can't believe how expensive it is. No wonder I have no hobbies.
When I read that talk I kept thinking the only "creating" I am doing right now is HOPEFULLy creating children that will grow up and be good people. For me that has to be good enough because I am NOT creative.
Do you remember when we made beaded friendship bracelets?? I also remember doing a lot of stamping (cards and such) at your house and thinking it was awesome. Maybe you could pick up those hobbies again. :)
I loved the honesty in your post! And to be honest myself, I'm a little forlorn about it. The couple years I feel my mind doesn't wander much, ponder much, question much....And reading your post made me ready and wanting to start again. What can I learn or figure out? You pinned it really well, what can I create? (I love that talk too! It's a halmark talk forever) So even though your questioning may lead to 'choking', I'm glad we can question.
p.s. You are really good at memorizing!
p.s.s. DDR IS a talent, we play it at work, and I'm picturing you womping us!
WHAT?!!! You play the piano? I didn't even know. At least you get to hide behind the piano while you play. No one will even see you. As opposed to teaching where there's nothing to hide behind. You'll be great.
Just plain stinkin' it up. You are hilarious. Perhaps you should become a stand-up comedian. And we should get together to play DDR so we can share the insults that thing dishes out.
I know a hobby you could do! Blog more!! I love reading your blog. You are awesome. :-D
I didn't realize you were nervous about playing hymns. But you will be just fine. If anybody wants to say anything about it, just invite THEM to play instead! I happen to know there are people that are really grateful you accepted that calling, so thank-you on their behalf. :-)
And I hear you on "will I ever leave the house again??" Between the weather and sick kids and just general laziness I feel like I haven't left the house in a week. I finally decided to contaminate people with Josh's cold (and sacrifice his nap) -- I went shopping this afternoon while Logan was at preschool. Suddenly I felt like a real human being again; it was marvelous!!
Oh, I can SO relate about the piano! Good luck! :) (I hate it when people find out that I took lessons - how does that make it so lessons automatically equal being able to play in public?!)
A hobby ... you sure are an entertaining writer. I thouroughly enjoy your blog - maybe that's a niche for you. :) P.S. Hope you don't all get sick - hang in there.
I'll say it once, and I'll say it again...WRITING. That's my vote. Not that it really counts for much, but I say you pick up writing again. You can create me a story. Brilliant.
You know what talent I think you should develop.........unlike Michelle I've said it more than once!
I'm for whatever your mom says, Lanita. And I'll vote for Michelle's vote, too. Here's to a hobby!
You don't give yourself enough credit - you'll do a wonderful job playing the piano!! I might be able to tell you so in person if I ever get to come out of the house again with healthy kids. Not looking good so far, so I feel your pain there. And whatever hobby you choose, you will be wonderful at it, as you're wonderful at everything you do.
Have fun and good luck! : )
I hear ya sista! I've been thinking about that very talk lately and have thought, "the only thing I'm creating is a mess!!" Ahhhh.
I'm going to add my vote to all the writing ones. I ALWAYS love reading your blog. I'm sure you could do more. Other than that...cross-stitch, crochet and knitting don't cost too much (if you bargain shop for the last two) and they don't take too much energy either. Plus, you can do them anywhere. Plus, you can sit around with friends and chat while you do them. Both are bonuses. And, just in case you are unsure, YOU ARE FREAKIN AWESOME ALREADY!
Post a Comment