Sunday, January 30, 2011

I Don't Get It

My neurologist (of all people) has been hounding me about exercising. He has said that They are finding that exercise is almost, if not just, as important as taking my daily medication. That says a lot, and even still I have been dragging my feet. I just can't figure out when to do it. I really need my sleep and the thoughts of getting up at the crack of dawn literally makes me ill. Mornings are spent running errands, cleaning, and/or helping with Chase's Joy School. By afternoon I hit my wall, take a little nap, spend some time with Chase, and before I know it the boys are home and I get my second wind just in time. Where do I fit in exercise?

Then I had this epiphany. I've heard people say, "Who has the time to read?" or, "I used to read, but those were in the good old days when I had the time." Upon hearing these comments I have wondered, "who doesn't have the time to read? I read while waiting for water to boil, while I'm waiting to pick up my child from an activity, before I doze off at night, shoot--while waiting for a red light to turn green. There's always time to read." I realized I was making the same excuse only with exercise. It was just a matter of making it a priority and doing it.

I finally decided to pull my act together and start exercising. I tried out a week's free trial at our Recreation Center. Having never stepped foot into one before, I was a little nervous. In all honesty I sat in the little foyer watching people check in at the desk and head on back into the mysterious unknown, debating whether or not to go through with it. I realized I was being ridiculous, stood up, and walked over to the desk attempting a I-totally-know-what-I'm-doing-I-exercise-all-the-time strut.

It was painless. They signed me up and invited me in. Just like that. So with bold steps I started down the hallway and entered the first room I could find with ellipticals. I carefully observed the behavior of the health-conscience creatures as they signed up for specific machines, hopped on, and began their work-outs. I followed suit, wanting very much to blend right in with these people. With a deep breath I approached my elliptical. It was in the front row and I felt a little self-conscience, but I was not about to back out now. I pushed the big green center button that said "Quick Start" and........ nothing happened. heh heh. Maybe I didn't push it hard enough? Maybe I need to push this button over here? No. How about this one? heh heh. I was hoping against hope that someone would take pity on me and show me what to do, but no one cared. They were probably snickering to themselves wondering who this idiot was and what audacity she thought she had to try her hand with this kind of elitist machinery.

With tail between my legs I slinked off my machine, already sweating before my workout had begun. I casually made my way into an adjoining room, signed up for yet another elliptical and had another go at it. SAME THING happened. At this point I realized that this was indeed a technical problem with myself and not the machines. Feeling really rather sheepish and not knowing what to do next, I began moving my legs. Just like magic the console lit up and it was a go. Ohhhhhh, I get it. To move the thing I have to move the thing. I suppose that makes sense.

Needless to say I finished out my week, feeling bolder and more daring with each visit. Boy do I know how to walk on the wild side. I have also started working out to some videos at home. I must admit, I don't feel any different. I keep waiting for this burst of energy or just an overall sense of healthy well being. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. The only thing that keeps me going is imagining my neurologist doing cartwheels, patting me on the back, even throwing a parade for my efforts in obedience. I know it sounds incredibly lame, but if that's what it takes to keep me going, then that's what it takes.

9 comments:

Meggin said...

You are utterly hilarious!!

ashleyboice said...

Last time I went to a gym (yeah I was just there picking someone up)...I just kept thinking...wow what are all these people doing here?? I couldn't believe so many people are just working out all the time.

Good job at trying something new. Pretty scary. I hope it works.

Nichols Family said...

You crack me up. If you want another free trial membership I (or Coryn or Lisa Smith) can get you a free 24 day pass to the 24Hr Fitness on Arapahoe and Parker.

Michelle said...

Now Lanita, don't hurt yourself there. It's dangerous work you're undertaking.

Unknown said...

It takes a while before you notice a difference. Actually, I didn't. Until I have a break, even a short one. Then I can tell I haven't worked out. I feel lethargic and I even (this may be shocking) CRAVE WORKING OUT! Really. I love it. I'm not crazy or anything (sorta sure). Stick with it. It'll make a difference. I'll do some cartwheels for you, too. :)

LeChem Fam said...

Confession: I am a serious blog hopper and happen to see your blog off the Marchants...hope that is okay?? I think you and I need to get together some time. I am the worst about exercising, refuse to go to a gym of any kind but know I need to do something as long as I don't have to give up my sleep. I keep praying for warm weather so I can get out and walk.

PS...I love that the previous post is about a coldstone run!! You guys sound just like us!!

nellie said...

Honestly, you braved one of the most socially terrifying experiences in our culture, I swear. There is nothing like the intimidation of a room full of fit people and all those alien machines. I am very impressed. I was sweating just reading it. Does that count as a workout for me?

Love you.

Becky said...

HA HA! I'm laughing because I did the same thing when I first tried the rec center. I went back maybe 5 times. Woo hoo! :) Go get 'em Lanita! :)

Rebecca said...

You want your neurologist to do flips and cheers?! Why not fly me down this weekend and I'll do all your parading-it would be cheaper don't you think!? I'm proud of you Lanita. I bet you can't feel mylin sheath forming around your nerve axons. I hope it pays off for you. Bring a picket to your next exercise visit 'FEWER NAPS, NO MORE FATIGUE!' and run around the track with it.