Sunday, May 15, 2011

Survival of the Fittest

Rewinding in time......

My parents came for a visit for Seth's baptism, nearly 2 months ago. My sister and her family had also been visiting, and their trips overlapped for a couple of days. So fun.

My parents gave the grandsons safari vests with a bunch of different accessories. Seth was in hog heaven as this went right along with his survival skills fetish. He was loaded down with all sorts of equipment and was ready for anything.



This was the last we saw of them for most of the day. They headed outside, intent on surviving in the "wild." They begged us not to feed them for the day and instead lived on water, some freeze-dried ice cream Seth had gotten for his birthday, and "green" plants they found in the yard. This made me a little nervous, though not too badly for there really wasn't anything green to be found that time of year. I'm not sure what they were eating. Perhaps some dried up leaves from last Fall? Much to their chagrin, I eventually did bring them out some sandwiches. They weren't too upset though, after all they did eat them.

Eventually the ultra-big and super cool magnifying glass came out, and so did the neighborhood kids. They were trying so hard to start a fire. They were able to burn some ants, and Abram created quite the work of art on a piece of wood, but no flames resulted. A little later Chase came running into the house exclaiming that the boys really DID start a REAL fire. I ran out and sure enough, they had a tiny, little fire going. I believe someone got bored and found some matches, tired of the magnifying glass business.

One neighborhood boy was intent on frying up some deli meat for their lunch. I told them to hurry because I was going for some water. Needless to say, the fire died out before I got back, and here are its remains (with a bucketful of water added, for good measure).



And here are the boys enjoying their feast.

We had another talk with the boys about fire and matches, again, and the matches are now hiding because I guess sometimes it's just too tempting.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

If you give a boy a vest...

Mama Tales said...

I had SO much fun!