Thursday, September 8, 2011

So Sad

Good-byes are always difficult, and this one really took the cake. My dear sister friend, Jenn, and her amazing family left for Indiana this week. My heart feels pretty empty right now.

We became fast friends when they first moved here 2 years ago. It was the kind of friendship where we were just certain we had met somewhere previously, but try as we did, we could not find that time. We just knew and understood each other so well right off the bat.

The stars lined up just right and they were able to rent a home that was virtually next door to our own. Does it get any better than that? Needless to say, we became one another's "family" where we had no family around. How nice it was to have someone to share the holidays with, to have built-in babysitters, to have a support system (attending smelly wrestling matches or looonggg violin recitals), someone to keep me company when Sam was gone yet again, someone to laugh and cry with--you know, family.

Life throws curve balls, as we all know, and to my bitter disappointment, yet with a sadly acknowledging heart, our dear friends needed to move. This was the week that they headed out, and it has not been easy by any stretch of the imagination.

Chase had a hard time going to kindergarten and was devastated that his Laney was no longer around to be in their "Do Nothing Club." Apparently at recess they would sit in the shade and "do nothing." This was so fun in fact, that a club was formed of which they were very proud. Seth was dead on when he said he just "feels weird" without them and we all keep looking over at their house waiting for them to come out. I definitely miss my doorbell ringing and ringing and ringing at 4:15 everyday, Emy's signal that it was time to come out and wait for the bus. Now I just sit by myself on the corner in the deafening silence. As you can see, it's pretty easy to feel sorry for myself. *sigh*

We miss them like crazy and my heart is so heavy. I do have to say, however, that though this is really pretty awful, I have been absolutely touched by my friends who have reached out, thought of me, and checked to make sure I'm doing okay. That first day I had half a dozen friends call or stop by, bringing sweet cards, yummy treats, and comforting hugs and words. I can't begin to say how much that helped me and how moved I was. Thank you, dear friends, for lifting me up, making me feel loved, and deadening the blow of a difficult time. I also thought it was such a tribute to Jenn because these were friends who had been touched by her as well and were missing her, too, that day. I was not the only one shedding tears. We love you, Jenn!

I have to post some pictures of some of the fun times we've had. I'm just trying to be grateful for the 2 years we were given.



3 comments:

Adri said...

Aww sorry, girl! We have some good friends here, and I always dread the day one of us has to move - which is inevitable. Our kids have literally never known life without each other. Hope you're doing okay!

Where in Indiana did they go? It's so weird - people keep moving here (we've had a ton of new families move into our ward), but we keep trying to leave! I mean, Indiana? Where the heck is Indiana anyway?

The Castleton Family said...

:0( I miss you!

Rebecca said...

darn