Sunday, January 20, 2013

Ordained

Turning 12, Abram was ordained to the Aaronic Priesthood at the end of December.  My Dad was able to sneak away from family festivities and work to come down and participate in this special occasion.  It was a total surprise to Abram and the boys, and when they first saw him, they didn't know what to think.  You could see the processing going on as plain as day on their faces.  Once they were able to make all the connections, there was lots bouncing off the walls and lots of snuggles.

We had such a nice weekend.  We played lots of games, there was lots of show and tell going on with Christmas just behind us, we had a nice dinner at Olive Garden, and there was lots of just cozying up and talking.  It was nice to have some one-on-one time with my Pops, and I know it meant a lot to Abram to have him there.

 
 
 


Abram's ordination was very special.  Though part of me couldn't believe that it was taking place (really, where does the time go?), the other part of me knew that Abram was really ready for it.  As I listened to his blessing and as I have learned more specifically what the duties and responsibilities are of the Aaronic Priesthood, I have been quite moved.  I think it is truly amazing that at age twelve we are teaching these young boys (and girls, too) to look outside themselves, to be concerned with the welfare of others.  We train them to reach out, to serve, to love, and to lift.  Where else in the world is this expectation set so high and at so young an age?  I have marveled at the organization of the church, the significance of the various auxiliaries, and at the power of the priesthood.  What a neat thing it is to see Abram step up, to be excited about the learning that lays ahead of him, and to see him become a member of a quorum.  As his blessing said, his life will never be the same.  And all of this for a squirrely 12-year old boy.  I love it.

4 comments:

Beth said...

How nice to have family in town during the busy time of year! And congrats to Abram. He is a phenomenal young man!

Rebecca said...

Yeah, I GUESS I could share-but only for someone as amazing as the clown BELL family

Mama Tales said...

For a squirrely little boy who will grow up to be as amazing as his wonderful Dad! The Lord's plan is a wonderful thing!

Mama Tales said...

Papa Beaver says thanks for wiping the drool off my face before taking the picture with the 3-D puzzle!