Monday, November 26, 2007

Wonders of an 18-Month-Old

It would seem that when a child turns around one and a half, three very frustrating and wondrous things occur.

1. The first phenomenon I can only compare to a Water Weenie. I'm not sure I'm using the term correctly, but I can think of no other word for them. You know those little tubular, balloonish, toys full of water that are hard to hold onto? They slip and slop right out of your hands. My Chase does that. As soon as the front door opens or as soon as I get him out of the car seat, he has the ability to twist and turn in such a way that he slips and slops right out of my arms and hits the ground running. You just can't hold onto him! (The whole running thing is also quite a sight. I just love it. There is more vertical movement that horizontal. So cute.)

2. Up until now, how many diapers do you think I have changed on my 18-month-old? Quite a few I could safely venture. However, suddenly and out of no where, he decides that it is absolute torture for him to lie down long enough for me to do the job. It kills me. He knows how this is going to end, and that there is only one way through it. And yet the battle ensues. This and getting dressed. Using my lightning-quick motherly superpowers I'm pinning him to the floor, wiping his bum, dodging the toys that I gave to him in vain hopes of keeping him entertained (which he is now chucking at me) and saying--and I know we've all said this, "If you would just hold still, we would already be done by now." My mom so appropriately compares this whole ordeal to tying a calf. I couldn't agree more.

3. This last wondrous phenomenon really takes incredible power, and to think it comes from my little boy. The only force in nature that closely resembles it is trying to stick two magnets together that share the same polarization. This ability occurs when trying to put your 18-month-old into his or her car seat. It's truly remarkable. Even my motherly superpowers can barely get the job done. Short of bodily harm, it is virtually impossible to get him buckled in. I've broken a sweat just thinking about it.

2 comments:

The Perkes Family said...

I can relate to all of those things! Eli is really a handful for me!

Adri said...

I, having a 15-month old, totally get that. I also love having a boy. Because, as with all men, they are obsessed with their boy parts. William tries to grab his at every diaper change. It makes for a messy situation when there's a messy diaper. Good times!