Saturday, December 1, 2007

A Gaggle of Geese


Today I saw geese flying overhead in their lovely V-formation. It's one of those things that brings my thoughts right back "home" to my growing up years. Don't you have certain sights, sounds, or smells that do that for you as well? Geese do that for me. Our home was about a block away from the lake, and we had the most beautiful view of it from our living room. In the fall hundreds of geese would take up residency there, and they peppered the lake. Some mornings their honking would wake me up. I always loved it when large groups of them took off on their journey and filled the sky. I loved watching them fly and rotate their flying positions.

On another Goose Note. Notice our family picture posted on this blog. Just before this picture was taken some geese flew out from behind the trees, making their usual honking noises. Apparently Seth, who had NOT grown up with geese in the back yard, didn't recognize the sound and began frantically clamoring up me in a total panic. I couldn't figure out what the deal was. And then he yells, "IT'S GOING TO EAT ME!!" Trying very hard not to laugh, I pointed to the geese flying overhead and assured him the sound was just coming from birds, and that they were not going to have him for dinner.

So though my thoughts do return me "home" when I see and hear geese, I always smile and think to myself "It's going to eat me!" Okay, I admit it. Sometimes I say it out loud to tease Seth. At least he can find the humor in it now.

2 comments:

Adri said...

The smell of cow manure does that for me. It totally reminds me of ML. Seriously...it does.

ashleyboice said...

I am with you on the geese sound reminding you of ML...it totally does that for me too.