Saturday, December 15, 2007

Birthday Party

Did you hear that sound? That was a huge sigh of relief coming all the way from Colorado. I made it through this weekend. First and foremost, I made it through Abram's birthday party. We had a Harry Potter-themed party, and though it was a lot of work putting together, I think it turned out well. It was a little crazy at times, but that was to be expected with 9 little boys running around. Abram had fun & that's what we were going for. Here are some pictures.



This was at Diagon Alley where they picked up their school supplies, including their wands. Sam had made a bunch of wands and wrote up what kind of wood each was made from, as well as what their "core" contained, i.e. phoenix feather, unicorn horn, etc. I was skeptical that he could keep 8 little boys' attention for that long, seeing as he was individually "choosing" the right wand for each boy. I was so wrong. They were totally soaking it up, and incredibly anxious to see what kind of wand they would get. I don't think I've ever seen a roomful of boys that quiet. I loved the looks on their faces!

Then came the Sorting Hat and the First Year Feast. After that they went to their various classes and activities. We had a Bertie Botts jelly bean tasting contest...

...and Potions class. We attempted a couple of different experiments, including making slime. I must say that trying it out once with Seth beforehand was a A LOT different than making it with a kitchenful of boys!
Next was our Magical Creature class. Here they got to dissect these huge, nasty gummy frogs that my mom and I found after Halloween. Inside there were gummy guts and flies that they pulled out. It really was kind of gross. Even some of the boys were squealing.



We also had Flying Practice using our GameCube Harry Potter game. Of course there was cake and ice cream, and we can't forget the presents.

Do you think Abram was a little wound up? It turned out great, but I'm very glad it's over. I must say thanks to Sam--I never would have made it without him. I had been sick all week, and he surprised me by taking Friday off to help out. He was a complete life saver! No more birthday parties until March when Seth turns 5. He's already asking for a Transformer party. Any ideas.......?

3 comments:

Adri said...

Oh my goodness...did you think of that all on your own? Wow! Looks like the boys had a blast.

amy said...

Lanita I am so glad that it was a success!!!! Way to go woman!!! It looks like it was so much fun! What a great birthday!!! I loved it. I felt like I was there. I am so sorry you were sick, what a bummer! I hope you are feeling better so you can enjoy the holiday. Miss you. It was so great to see you the other weekend. I am still....well there are no words. Love you sister love.

Michelle said...

Lanita, you are so creative and amazing and wonderful. That sounds like so much fun.