Monday, February 11, 2008

You might be wondering why I have these two random objects pictured on my blog. Let me tell you why. These two objects aren't just your ordinary household items. These two objects have made life in my house easier and happier, if not glorious. Allow me to ellaborate:

1. The object pictured on the left is something for which I have looked high and low. My Seth hasn't been able to hold a pencil correctly for the life of him, and I haven't been able to teach him how to do so, for the life of me. I have looked everywhere for something I remembered from my childhood.....a triangular doo dad that one sticks on a pencil that helps one grip it correctly. I finally found one last week. I felt like Charlie finding a golden ticket in his chocolate bar. Seth promptly tried it out, and his response was, "Wow! I drew a really good circle!" His little world of ABC's suddenly got a whole lot easier, and I think he was just as excited as I was. He informed me that he is now officially ready to start school.

2. The object on the right is a treasure indeed. This little gem I didn't even know existed until I stumbled across it on the internet. Then I knew I must find one and make it mine. This excitement actually comes from the drudgery of giving myself daily injections for my MS. It's something I really rather hate, but this gizmo brought a little ray of sunshine onto my nightly masochistic ritual. This object actually clips the needle off the syringe when I am finished with it AND stores the needle inside. In one fail swoop (or little "clip") I no longer worry about my children getting into my old syringes, and disposing of them is suddenly so darn easy. Why has no one told me about this? This is very exciting stuff. When it comes to injections, you take every little bit of silver lining you can find! And I must brag.....after 1 1/2 years of injections, I have quite the syringe collection.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

O.K. You are so funny. I'm so glad you told me about your blog! I had no idea you had to give yourself daily injections! You are a braver woman than I. I was supposed to stab myself every three days when I was in the hospital with Julianna, but I couldn't do it. I always had to have someone else do it for me.

Adri said...

I totally remember those pencil things. I wonder why they're so hard to find now?

And I can't even imagine having to give myself injections. (You know me.) I'm glad you found something to make it easier.

Unknown said...

You have to keep your old syringe's? You can't have to keep them forever, do you have to do something special with them (to get rid of them I mean)? I'm glad you found something to make you feel safer. My two little boys are always getting into everything they aren't supposed to, I know I would have worried. I agree with the others, you are brave and a VERY wonderful person. I'm so glad that you are my friend. Gooshey, but true. :)

ashleyboice said...

I am so getting one of those syringe things what are they called??? I have like a medical wast basket that my kids can't get stuff out off...but it gets full so fast...one day I just put my syringe in the garbage (it was seriously the first time I ever did that)and my neice grace crawled out of the bathroom with it in her mouth....HELLO. hahaa

Michelle said...

That is so awesome that you found that! It really is the neatest little gizmo. I'm glad you were able to come across it.

The Perkes Family said...

I am glad you found something to make your injections easier. I cringe to think about what you have to do everyday. I hate needles! I don't envy your daily ritual, but I sure do admire you!