Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sometimes You Just Can't Win

Today was one of Those Sundays. Getting out the door wasn't too bad. The only eruption we had was when Seth took off his church shoes in open rebellion when I declared it was time to head out. I wasn't too happy as little boy's church shoes are ridiculously hard to get on. And of course, whatever Seth does Chase must follow suit.

Sacrament meeting felt like it went on & on. I'm sure it had nothing to do with my wiggling, squirming children. Seth was being.......difficult, and nothing made Chase happy (except for frequently lifting up my skirt). Needless to say I was very much looking forward to dumping my children off in Primary. Even Chase, which is saying something because he still hates nursery. Yes, it is going on 6 months now and he cries just as hard as he did on the first day. Perhaps even harder. I usually feel terrible and worry about him, as well as his teachers. Not today though. I gave him a quick hug, told him I would be back shortly, peeled him from my arms, handed the screaming kid over to his teacher, and didn't look back.

Next came the two hours with my Sunbeam class. I'll just leave it at that. When I went to pick up Chase from Nursery he was Mister Sweaty Head, which can only mean one thing. My fears were confirmed when his teacher announced that he had just woken up a few minutes ago. Arrrggghhh.

Now I can't really blame the teachers. I mean, it's not like Chase is the only one crying, and in the big balance of A Day in Nursery would you opt for the hysterically crying and inconsolable child, or the perfectly content and blissfully sleeping lamb? If I were a teacher I would let the lamb sleep on, keeping the inner wolf at bay.

But alas, I am not the teacher, only the tired and worn out mother who will now not get some afternoon shuteye as her child has been asleep for the past TWO hours. And this isn't the first time this has happened. I think Chase just cries himself into oblivion and is starting to realize that sleep is the perfect escape. No kidding kiddo.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh Lanita, I am so sorry! I hate it when I'm totally looking forward to a nap, and then my plans are foiled. I hope you get some sleep soon!

Adri said...

I think it's hilarious that he falls asleep in nursery. Although, you're right, it's probably not very funny when you get home and he won't take a nap.

twoplustwins said...

To paraphrase President McKay, no nursery success can compensate for the loss of your Sunday afternoon nap. At least, that's how I feel. Also, I feel they should make more velcro church shoes for boys - the current models are such a headache!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Lanita, you pegged this perfectly.

Anne said...

Oh man why can't we live by each other....we could be doing this together!!! It could be the Bell/Ford Crazy Bench! If we were so fortunate that we were in the same ward, I think they would just give us the over flow area...and if things got too bad, we could just close it off! Our husband could both give the "Okay Nod" from the front. HEHEHEHE

I guess you could say...we are doing this together!

I feel comfort reading this, knowing someone else has these sundays too.

The Perkes Family said...

I totally know what you mean. Poor girl. Sundays are not a day of rest when you have 3 boys!