Friday, November 7, 2008

Through the Eyes and Mind of Chase

In occasionally observing the world through Chase's perspective this week, I've noticed some fun and thought provoking things.

1. First and foremost, what makes a toddler stick foreign objects into his or her various body cavities? I would really love to know what goes on in their mind as they make that fantastic leap of a decision to do so. Plain old curiosity? Just to prove to themselves that they can? In Chase's case he made the decision to stuff a popcorn kernel in his right nostril last night. This is the second time he has done this and the interesting thing is he has only ever experimented with popcorn kernels. Nothing else, of which I am indeed grateful. What is it about a popcorn kernel? Is it the size, texture, color, or simply the coolness of what a popcorn kernel becomes? I will never know. This time around did call for a trip to the doctor this morning to help fish it out. I am hoping that he was traumatized enough by the whole ordeal to never do it again.

2. I took Seth and Chase to the park this last week. They had fun climbing, running, swinging, and sliding. At one point Chase decided he was going to run Seth down. Now forget the fact that Seth is twice as fast and as big as little bro Chase, because Chase sure did. The facts did not daunt him. Instead he thrust his arm out like a little javelin and yelled, "Chaaaarrrge!" He was off like a shot. I wondered why sometimes I can't be more like that. When the task seems daunting and the odds not so much in my favor I will follow the example of my 2 year old and chaaarrrrrgge!!!

3. I was holding Chase outside recently, and we were observing our tree in our front yard. It's rather big which means in the fall we get several opportunities to rake lots of leaves. Here and there a few leaves were falling off our tree when a sudden gust came up and sent lots of leaves swirling, twirling, and falling all around. Chase began laughing. Not just a little giggle but that deep, genuine, musical sound of a laugh. You know the difference? There are very few sounds that compare to this kind of children's laughter. He was absolutely delighted, and of course I couldn't not join in the laughter as well. I love how seemingly everyday and simple things can be such a magical thing to our little people. Another thing I can take a lesson from!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I haven't experienced my boys putting items up noses, ears, etc. not that i'm knocking on wood. They did however like to hide things in the oven broiler. I would found things like phones, car keys, blanket (so glad I didn't turn my oven on when that was in there), so I had to always look in the broiler drawer before I turned the oven on.

Both my kids had stitches before they were 2 yrs old.

I love the new pictures you posted of your family and the picture of the boys!

Dawn W said...

Oooooh - the popcorn kernel up the nose is a ... such a kid story! The leaves from your tree are still a source of delight to the kids at our house. Every fall they talk about the leaf monster that hid under them, and wonder when we can go visit to play in the leaves. Your front yard tree is a perfect kid tree. - Love your new family pictures as well!

Rebecca said...

Micah said you should've lit a match under his nose so it would "pop" out! I LOVE the new picts on the side! SEE YOU soon (but never soon enough).