Saturday, November 15, 2008

Wii Want It

Abram is our little video game fiend. He would play all day and all night if we let him. Of course we've learned to set up parameters, but it's not unusual to hear the Why Too Much TV, Video Games, and Computer Are Not Good For You conversations at our house.

You can imagine how totally cool the Wii sounds to Abram (shoot, me for that matter). He's asked for it a couple of times, and with Christmas coming up it has become somewhat of a hot topic. My in-laws recently purchased one, and are having a blast with it. They called the day after they set it up saying how much fun it is (mind you they are NOT "gamers"), and that, in fact, they were sore from their competitive game playing.

Abram heard us talking about this and stopped us. "Wait. You mean that the Wii can give you exercise?"

"Well, yeah. It can." (Obviously not for a marathoner, but for a dolt like me who never gets it in.....sure, why not?)

"Oh, so I guess it is normal."

"What do you mean by that Abram? Normal?"

"Well, it's like if you mix hot water and cold water you get warm water, right? If you mix television with exercise you get normal." In other words, you mix a not so good thing with a good thing and that makes it okay. Not great, not terrible, but okay, or "normal."

"Ah, I see." (snicker, snicker) I love how that kid's mind works! You could see him justifying the existence of a Wii in our home.

12 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow! He is really good! You'll have to get one now :)

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Ohhhh, Lanita, what are you going to do? Leave the kid out in the cold or put him in a frying pan? Do tell, do tell what you decide.

Scott said...

I say buy the Wii. We did :)

Anne said...

I need you to live by me so I can have your special influence on a daily/weekly basis. And remind me about things like Wrestling season.
I think Abram made a pretty good case there. Its all in the way he worded it, how can you say no now. That was spectacular, I'd reward him just for coming up with that. He's got me won over. GO ABRAM! Wii, Wii, Wii, I'm not paying for it so....Wii Wii Wii

Dawn W said...

... And did you know that they have a special exercise Wii program? The more you exercise with the special mat, the more exercise games it opens up and you can exercise longer and longer - Go Abram!

Holly Child said...

So, what's the verdict?! Are ya gettin' a Wii or not?! ;o) Zoe asked for one too....it must be the age group!

Rebecca said...

I love how he can connect two worlds into one concept in his mind. I wish I could do that better. I miss him! see you in like 9 days!

Blake & Melissa said...

How funny and very ingenuitive!

Conor wants a Wii so bad he can taste it!

Unknown said...

I've heard awesome things about the wii too. So has Steve. Somehow he convinced his mom while she was last visiting it would be a great family gift for christmas, so she bought it for us. You might say, "Lucky you, you got a wii for free!" But you wouldn't be thinking about all the different types of controllers that you just "have" to have and of course there needs to be a game for everyone in the family too. I'm pretty sure James wouldn't miss not having a game, but just try and convince Steve. :) Okay, okay, I'm mostly kidding, I think it'll be fun. I love the connections kids make and how they reason. Fascinating stuff. :)

Heather said...

Facinating.. I see his logic, actually. My parents used the same rationale with Clark :) If he's going to play Nintendo.. might as well get a 'work out' :)

So I played it when we went home and by golly.. I DID get a sore arm! It was a BLAST! And I am not a gamer.. at all.

Nicole said...

Did they already get it, or are you waiting for Christmas morning?

I hope you family has a Happy Thanksgiving!

Becky said...

That cracks me up! I like the way his mind works! Hmmm...where can I use that logic?? :)