I just got back from a trip to Chicago where I met one of my best friends of 14 years, Adri. I went by myself, which was such a staggering idea as I have never been away from my family before. Honestly, I couldn't even get past the plane ride there by myself. To be away from my kids was incomprehensible, but it was something I was willing to try. ;)
It was so good to see Adri, and we just had a ball together. Neither of us have the most agressive or outgoing personality, so we were a little nervous (okay, maybe a lot nervous) to be in the big city by ourselves and to figure out the subway and how to get around. Our husbands would have taken care of that for us. But with a deep breath and our maps--and pepper spray--in hand, we ventured out of our 4-star motel room (thank you priceline!) and went out and conquered the city. It was seriously one of the funnest things I've ever done.
It was so fun to be able to eat when and where we wanted, but most importantly, to eat for as long as we wanted. We could eat donuts for dinner. We could stay up as late as we wanted (of which we took full advantage) and not worry about getting up with kids during the night or waking up at the crack of dawn to feed them breakfast. We were reminded that we really can do hard and scary things and that in the end, they really weren't that hard and scary after all. We could stare down pick-pocketers. We could get lost and find our way back. We could ask for directions. And yes, we could figure out Chicago public transportation. Shoot, Adri even took a taxi back to Union Station. (Is it too obvious that we grew up small town girls?)
The thing that was the greatest about the trip, is that I found Lanita again. Yes, I'm wife to the best husband and mother to three wonderful children--all roles that I love and wouldn't trade for anything. But I'm also Lanita and sometimes that gets a little lost or swept aside. Not intentionally and maybe not even consciously but missing sometimes nonetheless. It was a fun and liberating trip!
I'm having difficulty "establishing a connection" to be able to post pictures. Hopefully those will be forthcoming.
Monday, March 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Yay! How fun for you! I got go to Education Week a couple years ago with my best friend sans kids, and it was the greatest! Us moms just need to get away sometimes!
You've totally inspired me! I just need someplace to go!!
that seriously sounds so fun. I am proud of you guys!
Wahoo and Yipee!! How much fun. I'm happy for you, not to mention a little jealous. :) A real adventure, what fun. :)
Lanita- Way to go sister love! I bet you had a blast! Why wasn't I invited! Why did you guys pick chicago, what else did you do? What a neat time. I totally know what you mean about finding yourself. I have really missed me lately...if that makes any sense. Anyway, how fun ..and way to go Sam..way to be a Dad! I need to call you and here the low down.
Post a Comment