Monday, March 9, 2009

From This Moment On

Let this day be marked, March 1, 2009. This is the day that I bit the bullet and made homemade rolls. I decided that after nearly 10 years of marriage, I should probably give it a whirl.

You have to understand that I despise cooking. I really do. Everything from the menu planning, the shopping for groceries, the cooking, and I think even the eating part is over rated. I can't think of any food I wouldn't give up if it meant we could be rid of cooking.

That being said, I don't think I'm a terrible cook. I think I do a descent job. Descent enough, anyway. And I cook with yeast, (i.e. bread, pizza dough, well, that's probably about it). I've just never tried out rolls. I've always decided that Rhodes Rolls are tasty enough and, of course, super convenient, and I'm all about super convenient in the kitchen.

On March 1, I decided I was going to try. I'm not sure what made me do it, but my mom's famous homemade rolls seemed to be calling out to me, so I pulled out her recipe and sallied forth.

It really wasn't too hard, and come dinner time we were ready to try them out. I must say it was a huge it. Seth proclaimed after his first one, "I'm digging in!!" and dig in he did. Abram actually thanked me for "spending all day in the kitchen" to make these rolls. Let's just say that out of the two dozen rolls I made, only 4 were left. I honestly lost track of how many I ate. And now there's no going back. Farewell to Rhodes, I'm taking over.

(And no, there's no pictures because I'm not THAT good yet. But hey, they tasted great!)

11 comments:

Rebecca said...

You were leaving me hanging on how they turned out for a while. WHOO HOO! Good Job! You should've at least taken a picture of your boys stuffing their faces. I've YET to do them successfully. I've tried only 3x, but it's causing me to loose my ambition to continue to try. next time I do, I'm calling you.

Melissa said...

Congratulations! Now all you have to do is roll out the dough, spread some butter on, sprinkle generously with sugar and cinnamon, roll them up, cut and bake. You will be so impressed with yourself!

Mama Tales said...

Yay, for you!!! You are a good cook! I bought ingredients today for one of your yummy suppers and we will think of you when we eat it. You will have to try the rolls again soon. Love ya toooo much MOM

Shannon said...

you are awesome...you may have to share the recipe!! Miss you friend! Hope you are doing great!

Michelle said...

I...don't even know what to say, I'm speechless. I'm so proud!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Lanita, I can't believe you waited ten years to cook that roll recipe...but well worth the wait aren't they? It's my favorite roll recipe bar none.

Becky said...

Yea! I'm glad you tried them...and of course everyone loved them, because you are a great cook! You don't give yourself enough credit! : )

Nicole said...

You cook good, I know first handed, who are you kidding?! I heard about the Rhodes rolls yesterday from someone here in Utah. My kids like fresh rolls also. I just don't cook them often because they eat way to much when I do cook them. The last time I made rolls was Christmas dinner...

Dawn W said...

Way to go Lanita! They even made my mouth water, just reading about them!

Unknown said...

YUM!! There is really nothing better than home-made, fresh from the oven rolls. In fact, for Makenna's birthday dinner all she wants is fruit salad and home-made rolls. :) I'm so impressed with your fortitude in the face of such a despisable task. :) Sometimes though, the yucky stuff is more than worth the outcome. Did I mention, YUM!!

Nicole said...

How about posting the recipe?