Sunday, March 22, 2009

Phantom

Months ago Sam bought me (well, us really) Phantom of the Opera tickets. I have been soooo excited to go see this play and have been wanting to see if for years and years. I feel so entirely spoiled to live by a city and have these kinds of opportunities. It's a far cry from where I spent the first 24ish years of my life in small town, rural America. I don't mean to knock small towns, I loved those 24 years. It's just that I have really enjoyed these crazy, fun chances to do and see some incredible things I have only ever dreamed about.

Anyhow. The day FINALLY came (yesterday) to go see Phantom, and of course one of the kids got sick. Poor Chase was a complete whiny, achy, bump on the log with a decent fever. We called and cancelled with the babysitter and Sam insisted that he stay home while I went and enjoyed the show. I was completely bummed. We both were so excited to see this together, and who's a better date than your best friend?

Instead I ended up taking as my date Abram. He was a pretty close second, that's for sure. What a fun time we had. He was fascinated with all the different kinds of people down town, and his eyes were huge as he stared up at the incredibly tall buildings. (I don't think I would call them skyscrapers. Our city is not quite that big.) And with his love of music, how could he not love the magic and excitement of that play? Some of the slower songs he got a little fidgety, and he admitted that he didn't understand some parts of the play, but there was enough drama and special effects to keep him entertained for the duration of the play. I'm always blown away by the raw talent of these people, and boy do I wish I could sing like that. We both loved the music and had fun watching the orchestra in the pit, even though we were up in the nosebleed section. :)
It was a day to remember. LOVED it. Thanks to Sam for letting me go and for Abram for keeping me company.
Pictures of my handsome date.......


8 comments:

Adri said...

Fun! We never get fun things like that here. We live too close to Chicago and nothing ever wants to come down to puny Indy. I'm jealous

Mama Tales said...

What a great time you both had. What a neat opportunity for Abram to be a little man. Sorry Sam didn't get to go. I guess that means you'll have to look for some tickets for Sam....maybe a professional wrestling match????Sam really is a great husband and Dad. You are blessed. MOM

Rebecca said...

Is that really my Abram looking so handsome and grown up?! What a neat thing to share on a mom/son date. I'm impressed Abram only got 'figity' a few times. I'm sorry about Chase and Sam and plans getting out of wack, but you hit the ball and sent it flying still! Hope Chase feels better fast!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh, I wish I lived in your town, I'd have babysat. HOWEVER, what a fun date to have with Abram. One neither of you will forget. So I guess that's not a bad consolation prize.

twoplustwins said...

what a fun evening for both of you. I am sure you would have loved having sam but abram had to be a great second. I hope living here in Rochester I will get to see it sometime before we leave. I have made my poor kids listen to the sound track so much Isaac can almost tell me the story himself now! I bet abram will always remember it and his date with you!
~Kim

Elizabeth said...

Sounds like fun, I am sure Abram will always remember it. Love the photos, you look beautiful!
Lizzy

Becky said...

Wasn't it a wonderful show?!? Jeff and I had so much fun, but I would definitely like to take Josh sometime, as he loves the music. He was a little sad that he couldn't go with us. :( Maybe next time! : )

Unknown said...

You guys just have the stinkiest luck. Steve surprised me with phantom tickets before we had kids. We went up to spokane, it was GREAT!! Phantom is one of my favorites. I'm glad you got to go!