Thursday, September 17, 2009

It's About Time

Abram, Seth, and Chase have all been sharing one room for the past 6 months or so. Abram and Seth are in a bunk bed and Chase in a toddler bed. Earlier this year Chase was beginning to notice that he was being secluded to his bedroom at night while his bros got to go party on together in their own bedroom. This Spring we let some visitors use Chase's room during their stay and moved Chase in with his brothers. There was no going back after that. We really could have put our foot down and forced the issue, but they all loved sleeping together and I thought that this would probably never happen again and why not let them enjoy this time for awhile?

Fast forward 6 months, and the situation was beginning to grow tiresome, to put it nicely. It really was a party every night, which isn't such a big deal in the summertime, but not so great when school starts. Abram is such a night owl and he and Chase fed off of each other. Meanwhile, poor Seth who actually goes to sleep when it's bedtime, was not getting the sleep he needed. It was time for a change.

Labor day weekend we tackled the project, and it really was a project. By now our spare room had become the storage/toy/catch-all room and needed some serious mucking out. Then we needed to move over clothing and toys and books, and buy new furniture for Abram's new room. I had been looking for a bunk bed where in place of a bed on the bottom "bunk" is a desk. Our bedrooms are smallish and I thought this would be a great space saver. Plus, I knew Abram would LOVE some space to do his studying.

After spending too much time online trying to find the best deal, I was getting discouraged. The one I liked that was priced more reasonable was out of stock at our local stores, and I really didn't want to pay another 70 bucks for delivery charges. As a last resort I decided to check Craigslist. I mean, you just never know, right?

Once again I was not disappointed! I couldn't believe it, but the very same bed I wanted had been posted that very day. Instead of paying $400, I got it for $100. I was sooooo happy. We concluded our project with the purchase of a couple of lava lamps, a Bumblebee poster, and a some needed new bedding for Seth and Chase's bedroom. This way they felt like their room was special, too.

So the deed is done, and I think we're all the happier for it. Hurray!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

We moved Natalie out of Julianna's room because it wasn't a party every night--it was a rumble.

Rebecca said...

Sam in his Suite and Abram in his PJ's says alot. I LOVE the steals you found and that it was in good condition. Plus, who doesn't love a new poster! Way to find the perfect solutions.

Dawn W said...

I LOVE craigslist! What a great deal! Can't wait to see if it helps the party situation. :)

The Perkes Family said...

Gotta love craigslist. It looks great. Sam even had time to put it together :) I agree...putting 3 boys to bed at the same time can be quite the task.