Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Abram's Big Month (Hence Big Post)

This month was a busy and big one for Abram. He turned 9 for starters. He got to have a birthday party with friends, and we had a fun (yet crazy) evening doing that. He didn't want a themed party so we played a couple of games and "hung out." We learned marbles and had a little tournament. We also had prizes for those who built the strongest, tallest, and most creative structures out of toothpicks and, well basically junk food. (I did have to cringe as they dumped gummie bears and marshmallows down their throats. I'm not sure just how much "building" was involved.) Of course Wii, pizza, and cake were involved as well. I particularly loved this boy's smashed marshmallow foundation.

For his birthday this year Abram really wanted a pet. A pet turtle to be exact. Needless to say after much deliberation we settled on hermit crabs. We picked them out yesterday and to quote Abram, "This is probably the best day of my life." He is SO excited and has become quite the expert on hermit crabs with all the research he has done. You know who to call if you have any questions about these little critters.

Abram also earned his Wolf in Cub Scouts. That was a happy moment.

At school this month he starred as "Melton" the snowman in a class play. He was also awarded the PBS award at a school assembly for being "Safe, Respectable, and Responsible." Last but not least Abram presented his "Passion Project" in class on weather, which is most definitely his passion right now. He worked very hard on it and did a wonderful job. Can you tell our buttons are bursting? I just can't believe how grown up he's getting.

Abram in a nutshell:

Favorite food: orange chicken from Panda Express

Favorite book: Percy Jackson and the Olympians series

When he grows up he wants to be: A doctor, meteorologist, violinist, and wrestler.

Currently obsessed with: weather, memorizing as much pi as possible (currently at 28 digits), hermit crabs.

What I love about Abram: I love that you have such zest for life. I love the questions you come up with and the curiosity that permeates from you. I love how you feel in relation to music, nature, books, other people's situations, and life in general. I love YOU, Abram!

8 comments:

rachel said...

Way to go Abram, what a rockstar! I loved looking through all the pictures.

The Castleton Family said...

haha!! Oh cute Abram...I can totally imagine his endearing voice as he said "this is probably the best day of my life!"

Mama Tales said...

What a lucky Grandma I am. I love Abram tooooooo much.

Becky said...

Sounds like a fun party! I'm glad he was so pleased with the hermit crabs! How fun! : )

Beth said...

Wow, what a big month for him! Congrats on all his accomplishments.

Michelle said...

Abram, I second every one else in saying that I love you too! I love how you think of others and rarely do we hear a mean word from your mouth regarding other people. You are one special boy!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Hermit crabs are a brilliant idea!

Abram is such an impressive kid. I've kept my eye on him from the beginning. What a fun post to see his interests and the things he loves. Way to go Sam and Lanita for channeling that zest, zeal and curiosity for good.

Rebecca said...

I didn't know he was on a pie kick. I'm going to have to call and talk to him, just so I can hear it!