Saturday, December 17, 2011

Wrestling



As I mentioned earlier, all the boys are participating in wrestling this year. They had their first tournament a week ago and ended up all taking first in their brackets! It was an exciting day at our house.

Seth was FULL of the jitters. I told him no one was making him do it, and he could wait if he felt like he wasn't ready yet. He insisted on participating. I think I was most proud of him--pushing himself out of his comfort zone in a major way. His first match he was down by 5 but came back to win in overtime. He also won his next two matches to place first.

(Seth showing his nerves that morning)

Abram was a little nervous, but with a little more experience, was also rearing to go. He wrestled awesome and won all five of his matches, including one in overtime as well. Here is his favorite picture from the day.

Chase was another story. This was his first ever wrestling tournament, and he swore up and down that he was not nervous. He was chomping at the bit all morning for his weight class to be up. Now, he's a strong kid (remember, a rhino pooped him out) and can do pretty well simply using his brute strength. We were a little nervous that he knew no moves and were trying to coach him beforehand on things he could and shouldn't do. "I know, I know," he kept exasperatingly telling us. We shrugged our shoulders and decided that there was only one way to learn, and that was baptism by fire.

(doing The Sprinkler in our bed morning of)

When his bracket was finally up, he watched the kids wrestling and exclaimed that they looked "weak" and that he was going to go out there and "whomp" them. I scolded him and told him that it's a lot harder than it looks. He didn't believe me.

True to his word, he went out there and "whomped." His first match (video above) he was winning 8 to nothing at the start of the period before he got the pin. He wrestled and won two more matches, even getting another pin. What a stinker. The crazy thing is, he was totally busting out official moves. The Half-Nelson proved to be his signature move. We were slightly flabbergasted and even the coaches were chuckling. Hopefully his ego will be taken down a notch at the next tournament!


I'm sure there will be more wresting posts to come, but the first tournament is always exciting. Go Titans!
(Group shot with good friends whose son is also wrestling)

6 comments:

The Castleton Family said...

ohhhhh!!! i LOVED looking through everything!!!! Go Bell Boys!!!! Make sure to hoot and holler for me too!!! :0)

Dawn W said...

Our kids are laughing and laughing at the rhino comment (I hadn't shared that story with them yet). Way to go to all your boys! We loved the video - there's a lot of testoserone going on around your house. :)

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh Lanita, I love reading your wrestling posts. I forgot about the rhino being Chase's birth mother.

Rebecca said...

I think this is the first wrestling post that was even sounding encouraging of the activity let alone bearing it! Well of course Chase's signature move is a half nelson, it's in his blood!

Beth said...

Sounds like a successful tournament for your boys! I am impressed with Chase; he totally seems to know what he's doing. Must be the influence of his older brothers. Or genetics (what with the rhino and all, ha!). ;-)

Glad to see so many updates from you!

Mama Tales said...

Half Nelson is right!