Friday, April 11, 2008

Ah Hah

In planning for my trip to Chicago I realized that I would probably come home a wreck. With MS I can get rundown awfully quickly, especially if I don't get lots and lots of sleep. As expected, Adri and I stayed up way too late while in Chicago, and I obviously didn't get my daily nap. However, something strange occurred. Upon arriving home I did need to lay low for a couple of days, but I wasn't sick like I thought I would be. Hmmmmmm.

Meanwhile Sam, who got about the same amount of sleep that weekend as he usually does, was exhausted by the time I got home. Hmmmmmm.

We have concluded that the common denominator was.....the children! I'm sure you probably guessed that this is where I was heading, but it did make me stop and think.

Children are wonderful. They are incredible examples to us and really do teach us a lot. Like King Benjamin taught they are submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love. They're trusting, they have an exuberance for life, and their
faith causes me to marvel. How wonderful to have these little people in our homes and lives.

After conversing with my mother on this topic we concluded that it doesn't stop there. Children demand a level of perfection that most of us have not yet achieved. Wouldn't you agree that it is hard to stay patient all day, to be full of love, to remain the cheerleader, to always be that good example, to have the right things to say, to be the responsible grown-up, and on and on and on. That, my friends, is exhausting.

So no, I didn't come back from my trip sick, but rather felt somewhat rejuvinated. I loved what Elder Ballard's said at conference:

"....find some time for yourself to cultivate your gifts and interests. Pick one or two things that you would like to learn or do that will enrich your life, and make time for them. Water cannot be drawn from an empty well, and if you are not setting aside a little time for what replenishes you, you will have less and less to give to others, even to your children."

Lesson learned......I love my children and though parenting is indeed tiring, what a blessing it is to have a reason to try daily to do and be better. Now I'm rambling, but I just wanted to get down my thoughts. Thanks for bearing with me!

4 comments:

ashleyboice said...

I got chills reading this. I loved it.

Melissa said...

I agree with everything you said, especially the part where you say "Children demand a level of perfection that most of us have not yet achieved." I'm convinced that God gives us children so we can learn to be like Him. And it's hard! Elder Ballard's talk was great. Yay for getaways!

The Perkes Family said...

All I can say is Amen to that.

amy said...

Lanita- let just say...tears have swelled in my eyes! Thank you. Thank you for these true and honest thoughts. I will be printing out that quote and putting it on my mirror! Cyber-hug!