
Seth has recently started reading. This is a picture of him reading his first "big" book, "See Santa Nap." It's always amazing when things click and suddenly letters become words and words a story. I always wonder how they're ever going to learn to read. How did I? How does anyone? All those rules and then exceptions to the rules. But they do, and it amazes me. My eyes seriously teared up as I listened to Seth
read. Am I crazy? It's just that a whole new and glorious world opened up right before his eyes.
I just finished reading, "The Historian" and there was a great description of this marvel:
"Never before had I known the sudden quiver of understanding that travels from word to brain to heart, the way a new language can move, coil, swim into life under the eyes, the almost savage leap of comprehension, the instantaneous joyful release of meaning, the way the words shed their printed bodies in a flash of heat and light."
5 comments:
GO SETHY!
Seth!? READING?! Oh my goodness, he is getting so big and old! Good for him!
That is so exciting! I'm still waiting for Jared to have that moment. He gets so frustrated because he can't quite get all the sounds to blend to make a word. I can't wait for it to click. I love your quote from 'The Historian'
It sounds like it is time for Grandma to start looking for a special book for Seth!!!
I COMPLETELY agree with the whole amazing clicking thing. It's a wonder that's for darn sure. The best part is, once you learn to read, it's only the beginning of the wonders to discover. Reading is AMAZING!!
Post a Comment