You pick a day, preferably when you don't have much going on. This day takes place in the basement, so it's nice to pick a nice, hot day where you can keep nice and cool. You make sure your basement is stocked with fun toys and games and maybe a few snacks. Then, together you declare "Groundhogs' Day," march down to the basement with necessities in tow, shut the door, and don't surface for 24 hours.
Of course, the Momma Groundhog might forage upstairs during meal times, but that food is brought down and eaten in picnic fashion. So your day might look something like this:
Toys to play with.
Puzzles to complete. (Yes, I know the orientation is wrong here. Trust me, it's a long story).
Books to read.
Blanket forts to be made.
Food to eat.
Board games to play.
Video games to beat.
And not pictured, movies to watch and fun, role-playing games to invent. Let me tell you, Seth, with his rapid-fire imagination, kept Abram and I in stitches as we played his game "Castle." It was hilarious as he described who our characters were (princess and archer), what our weapons consisted of (pillows and magic wand), how, when, and where we died, and what happened after that.
Of course you must sleep in your groundhog cavern, and it's especially fun to fall asleep to a movie.
The next morning, when it's been exactly 24 hours, you emerge and face the world. However, my boys were trying to tell me that they had seen their shadows and needed to stay put a little while longer.
I must say I really enjoyed the day with my boys. It was fun to spend quality time with them, with no distractions. This is definitely going down in our tradition book, at the request of all!
5 comments:
As one who has had something on the schedule every day for the last two weeks (and then we're starting school this week?!!), this sounds like a nice respite. What a fun day!
And again - you are a super cool mom! Wish I had your imagination. How fun!
That is probably the cutest idea I've heard in quite some time. Sounds like so much fun! I mean, equipped with weather books, what could go wrong, and what more could you possibly need?
I agree with Michelle. What a fun, creative idea. I really, really would have loved a groundhog's day.
Can I be reincarnated with you?!! Groundhog life is sounding sublime
Post a Comment