Sunday, August 24, 2008

Eat Cake

I love cake, absolutely love cake. This birthday cake that Becky made me has been fabulous. I would be remiss if I didn't gush about it for a moment. It's beautiful (she has taught cake decorating classes) made with my favorite colors. She knows how much I love frosting, so she layered it on for me. And it's absolutely delicious. It's the kind of cake that you can't eat with ice cream because it would take away from its deliciousness. Thank you, Becky!

My feelings on cake are summed up perfectly in this excerpt from the book, Eat Cake by Jeanne Ray.
"Cakes have gotten a bad rap. People equate virtue with turning down dessert. There is always one person at the table who holds up her hand when I serve the cake. No, really, I couldn't, she says, and then gives her flat stomach a conspiratorial little pat. Everyone...looks at the person....and they all think, That person is better than I am. That person has discipline. But that isn't a person with discipline, that is a person who has completely lost touch with joy. A slice of cake never made anybody fat. You don't eat the whole cake. You don't eat a cake every day of your life. You take the cake when it is offered because the cake is delicious. You have a slice of cake and what it reminds you of is someplace that's safe, uncomplicated, without stress. A cake is a party, a birthday, a wedding. A cake is what's served on the happiest days of your life."

7 comments:

Holly Child said...

Oh my...that cake looks SO good! I agree...I love cake too! I never pass it up! ;o) I bet that's hard to tell, huh?!

Melissa said...

Natalie just said, "Mommy, I want a cake like that."

Heather said...

mmm... buttercream frosting.. and if it was chocolate underneath that.. it's too much! :)

I have taken some cake classes and it is fun to be able to make such a delicious creation. I totally agree about the ice cream.. it actually spoils a cake that delicious!

Happy b-day again.. sorry I missed it!

Mama Tales said...

Tell Becky---Thanks from your Mom. It is (was) a beautiful cake for a beautiful girl.

Dawn W said...

Happy belated Birthday Lanita! What a beautiful cake - Hope your day was just as wonderful as that cake sounded!

Heather said...

Looks delicious! I love the quote. I certainly don't have a flat belly right now, but I will still indulge! Let me eat cake! Hooray!

Unknown said...

I absolutely love the quote, yep, it's great. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite apply to me. I LOVE to bake, so I do it a lot. The part where it says, "You don't eat cake every day of your life." Is technically correct, but only because someday's I have cookies or brownies instead. :) Yum.